Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Creativity In My Blood

Sr. Primary, Silver Springs Ward














Jr. Primary, Silver Springs Ward


This past Sunday, I finally discovered that I actually AM creative after all!
For the last three Sundays, in singing time, we've been working on two Christmas songs from the Primary Children's songbook, "The Shepherd's Carol" & "Who Is the Child?".
I have to admit...I've adopted some ways of teaching music from my mom, when she taught the music in Primary many years ago. No complaints here, though. The kids may complain, but the outcome is always good when I get compliments from the parents. I teach the same ways to my own kids, so I guess it's been like this for a long time. Because I'm not creative with my hands, a lot of my teaching of songs are by "rote", which means that we sing a line or two over and over again until the kids sing it right. I'm a very "technical teacher" when it comes to music and singing. It's very important for me that the kids sing the right note, and if they don't, I have them sing it again and again until they get it right. I'll throw in a game or two, here and there, but like I said, it's mostly by rote.
Now it's not so much coming up with the IDEA of "dressing up". I've heard about that idea many times. It's mostly having the creativity to put the costumes together. I think that's why I don't like Halloween and coming up with costumes for the kids. Creative ideas, a lot of times, can be in my head...I can think of things to do and picture it in my mind how it would look like, but actually putting it together using my hands can be really hard for me.
Well, this past Sunday I think it was a shock for everyone because I decided to put together some costumes so the kids could dress up as characters in the songs, like a "Nativity" scene. I think I even shocked myself. Saturday, while trying to get and put everything together, I still had no idea how it would all turn out. But I'd have to say, it turned out great!! I was pretty proud of myself, and the neatest part of it all was actually feeling the spirit as I saw the kids IN their costumes. I had goosebumps and my eyes welled up with tears. I had a great time, and I think the kids did, too, because they were saying how they wanted to do it again! I just wished we had more time so we could get the rest of the kids to dress up as well.
At least I'll have some "nativity" costumes on hand, whenever needed. I'm not one to hold on to things and pack things away. I'll get rid of things as quick as I get 'em if I think it'll take up more space for me, but these costumes are definitely keepers!

1 comment:

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

The kids look awsome and I am sure they will want to do this over and over again...especially because they felt the spirit too and that feels good............GOOD JOB LADY! You're a fabulous primary singing teacher and those kids are lucky!!